Enime Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rurouni Kenshin

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Tomato
Hokage
Hokage
Tomato

Male Number of posts : 1188
Registration date : 2006-05-31

Rurouni Kenshin Empty
PostSubject: Rurouni Kenshin   Rurouni Kenshin Empty05/07/06, 08:43 pm

Rurouni Kenshin Volume1cover5am

Rurouni Kenshin Volume 1
Artist: Nobuhiro Watsuki
Publisher: Shonen Jump
Genre: Action

This is Watsuki's debut piece of work, and it definitely makes a bright mark on his career. According to Shonen Jump, this is the best selling manga around the world - and I'm not surprised after I read the first volume. Being a debut piece of work, it's done extremely professionally and therefore to a high standard with both the storytelling and the artwork. Rurouni Kenshin first appeared in 1992 in a weekly Japanese magazine. It was finally published in English in October 2003, more than a decade after it originally appeared.

Rurouni Kenshin tells the story of what appears to be a young man as a "rurouni", a samurai who travels with no destination. We learn that his name is Himura Kenshin, a great swordsman from 140 years ago. Besides this, we don't learn much about Kenshin's past, however incidents in the first volume reveal his personality and hints at his past life which he doesn't talk about himself. He also always refers to himself in third person, showing himself as being a modest and humble person.

Kenshin meets a girl called Kamiya Kaoru. Under circumstances, Kenshin helps her retain a dojo that she runs after her father passed away and also stays to help around. This is where the tale truly begins as Kenshin and Kaoru attempt to gain students for the dojo and meet new people while doing so. The back of the book states, "Meiji Swordsman Romantic Story", somewhat giving away what the relationship between Kenshin and Kaoru could well develop into.

Rurouni Kenshin Volume1screen12bcRurouni Kenshin Volume1screen21gjRurouni Kenshin Volume1screen30hj

The artwork, especially for a debut piece, is well balanced and maintained throughout the book. Thanks to Watsuki's clear drawing, the fight scenes become alive and show Kenshin's fearsome swordplay. Rurouni Kenshin contains a fair amount of comedy as well, which is also drawn sharply. It's easy to recognise these scenes, as Kenshin is usually drawn with perfect circle eyes and humorous facial expressions.

The only problem I can find with the artwork is that of the main character, Kenshin. Watsuki's first design for Kenshin was a tall man with black hair. After that, he attempted to design the exact opposite, which came out as a girl. To make up for the girlish looks with red hair, he gave Kenshin a scar on his cheek. Somehow, you get used to Kenshin's appearance pretty quickly.

The plot is set straight away and much has been left to be revealed later on in the story. Readers will be anticipating when they can finally find out about Kenshin's history, as much of it is left in the shadow and up to us to predict. The full series is 28 volumes, and have several separate story arcs.

The book contains character and other information in between the chapters, and at the end of the book, contains a short story. If you find yourself confused with some of the words, like several other manga titles, there is a glossary in the back. Therefore, there's nothing special when it comes to extra features, but some of the information can be an interesting read.

On the whole, Rurouni Kenshin is a solid book with great artwork and a well told story. The first book sets itself up nicely for the rest of the series to follow on, and the plot is undoubtedly set to follow in terms of interest. The extra features are nothing special but still a decent read.

Review Written: Wednesday 13th April 2005 by Shabbir
Back to top Go down
https://enimeboard.forumotion.com
Tomato
Hokage
Hokage
Tomato

Male Number of posts : 1188
Registration date : 2006-05-31

Rurouni Kenshin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rurouni Kenshin   Rurouni Kenshin Empty15/07/06, 12:21 pm

To me I think Rurouni Kenshin is the best samurai manga ever well that's just me. The manga had some of the best fight scenes ever seen in the manga like for example Saito vs Kenshin, and Shishio vs Kenshin. It had a mix of awesome battles, historical influences and of course comedy. What are YOUR thoughts about it?

Smile
Back to top Go down
https://enimeboard.forumotion.com
BigO
Chūnin
Chūnin
BigO

Male Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2006-07-10

Rurouni Kenshin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rurouni Kenshin   Rurouni Kenshin Empty15/07/06, 12:34 pm

Story: 8.0
Character: 9.0
Value: 8.0
Enjoyment: 9.0

I've read this manga over and over especially when I had nothing to do during the holidays, but it never really lost its charm. This manga series is fun and exciting not to mention that it also has enough considerable depth in Kenshin to drive the plot for very long time without letting it get to stale.

Kenshin owns this show and the Mangaka knows it quite well. Sanosuke and such are good side kicks but that really do not have the depth Kenshin has to stand on their own. The whole story is truly about Kenshin and all the enimies that coe from Kenshin past. The story is driven by this. An enimy will come from the past and reveal a bit more about Kenshin's past and it will haunt him. Shihio Saga and Enishi saga are defnitely one of the best action manga read you will have for sure with it tragedies and excitement that coexist within it.

But having sad all that the beginning of the manga definitely drags. They really didn't need as quite as much development in the beginning to start the Shishio Saga. I would've been nice if the story was a bit over tightly organized. That goes for Shishio saga as well. I personally did not like how the Kenshin's battle with Shishio turned out to be like a mortal combat type of thing. Having said that enishi saga is definetely my favorite part of the manga. Kenshin's past is revealed and no chapters are wasted on doing useless things. Manga design realy gets perfected suring these chapters more than anything. and the dramatic build up and finish is something that I think is one of the best I've seen in any mangas.

this is a great action manga. It starts out a bit slow with a enemy from the past of the week type of thing, but quickly picks the story up with Shishio saga and will give you a exciting ride from there. Design in the beginning is rough, but it reaches its perfection at the Enishi saga. But what really owns this show is Kenshin. He makes it all worth while.

Love it. lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Rurouni Kenshin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rurouni Kenshin   Rurouni Kenshin Empty

Back to top Go down

Rurouni Kenshin
Page 1 of 1